Engineering Adjunct Professor (Makerspace and Fabrication)
The Digital Maker and Fabrication Adjunct Professor will be teaching courses that deal with analytical processes and skills required for hands-on maker-fabrication in physical and virtual environments.
Topics of focus: User research, usability, ergonomic analysis, materials selection, production processes, hand drawing and sketching, comparative product research, model making, prototyping, and testing of products.
You will be responsible for creating a “Maker Culture” that fosters an interactive DIY collaborative studio space for creative endeavors where the informal/formal combination of lab, shop, and conference room form a compelling argument for learning through hands-on exploration. Our on-campus makerspace should be an area that gives our students the opportunity to tinker with ideas, try out solutions, and have a project-driven space where they can innovate.
University of Advancing Technology’s Synchronic Learning model is designed especially for students of advancing technology. Tailored to both undergraduate and graduate students, Synchronic Learning provides an education framework that prepares superior graduates to become tomorrow’s innovators. This model embodies UAT’s methodologies, curricula, and people dedicated to fostering an environment of innovation that promotes demonstrated mastery and job readiness. An integral part of this framework is SyncFlex, a flexible learning approach with an emphasis on mentored education that provides real project experience to cultivate superior graduates.
Who you are:
- You’re experienced in product or industrial design
- You’re passionate about technology and education
- You’re resourceful, innovative and a fearless problem solver
- You embrace and appreciate our Geeky culture
- You’re a natural leader in the classroom and a devoted mentor to our bright student population
What you manage:
- 3D Printers
- Cutting machinery including laser, water jet, knife or other material
- Milling and routing machines that drill and shape complex parts
- Joining machines that use computer control to sew, weld or bond
- Traditional hand and power tools
- Decorative materials for paining, embroidery, and embellishment
- Products to market and patent experience
- Prototype, build and apply for patents for technology products meeting specific human factors, form and function criteria.
- Evaluate trends in design principles and apply them into the form and function of devices.
- Evaluate material and build technique options during the creation of products and their prototypes.
- Evaluate and implement developments within electromechanical, algorithmic, robotic, microprocessor, sensor and other advancing technology areas while making product design decisions.
- Experience working within a maker studio or production environment to design, build, test and revise products that meet client timeline, design and quality requirements.
- Proficiency with industry-accepted prototyping, modeling, build and maker tools and techniques.
- Masters degree required to teach undergraduate courses
- Doctorate degree required to teach master's courses
University of Advancing Technology (UAT) is an elite intimate private college in Tempe, AZ focused on educating students in advancing technology who desire to innovate in the areas of emerging technology disciplines including Advancing Computer Science, Information Security, Game and New Media technologies.
Living on campus, students are surrounded in a true living learning technology environment that incubates their ideas into innovations that students can patent and take to market. Students must create an innovation project to graduate.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or disability. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors. UAT does not sponsor foreign visa's. Thank you for your understanding.
Job Status: Part Time