Digital Maker & Fabrication Adjunct Professor
Have a passion for digital fabrication? Want to share it with students who are excited to be in your classroom?
Who We Are:
University of Advancing Technology (UAT) is an elite intimate private college in Tempe, AZ focused on educating students in advancing technology who desire to innovate in the areas of emerging technology disciplines including Advancing Computer Science, Information Security, Game and New Media technologies.
Living on campus, students are surrounded by a true living-learning technology environment that incubates their ideas into innovations that students can patent and take to market. Students must create an innovation project to graduate.
We are an entrepreneurial, results-oriented company recognized for delivering high standards of innovation and service. As an organization designed to change the lives of some of the brightest young minds, we rely on the excellence of every member of our family to continuously exceed our own standards and our students’ expectations.
The Digital Maker and Fabrication Professor will be teaching courses that deal with analytical processes and skills required for hands-on maker-fabrication in physical and virtual environments. Topics of focus: User research, usability, ergonomic analysis, materials selection, production processes, comparative product research, model making, prototyping, and testing of products.
You will be responsible for creating a “Maker Culture” that fosters an interactive DIY collaborative studio space for creative endeavors where the informal/formal combination of lab, shop, and classroom form a compelling argument for learning through hands-on exploration. Our on-campus makerspace should be an area that gives our students the opportunity to tinker with ideas, try out solutions, and have a project-driven space where they can innovate.
Don't have teaching experience - that's where we come in. UAT's team of faculty and staff will work with you as you:
- Inspire, motivate, and mentor students
- Facilitate relevant student projects and innovations
- Development and delivery of coursework that reflect current, emerging and future technologies and practices in the digital fabrication field
- Be an active member of the maker community and encourage student participation
A combination of the below skills are preferred:
- Experience with 3D printers, laser cutters, CNC fabric cutters and rapid forming tools
- Experience using digital and physical tools to engineer and build prototypes
- Rapid prototyping
- Agile and MVP development frameworks
- Ability to evaluate material and build technique options during product and prototype creation
- Knowledgeable of current and future trends in digital fabrication and design
- Implementation of embedded systems and fundamental electronics into product builds.
Skills and Education Requirements:
- Master's degree in Digital Makerspace and Fabrication or relevant field with 18 credit hours in Digital Makerspace and Fabrication required; doctoral degree preferred.
- 3+ years relevant industry.
University of Advancing Technology’s Synchronic Learning model is designed especially for students of advancing technology. Tailored to both undergraduate and graduate students, Synchronic Learning provides an education framework that prepares superior graduates to become tomorrow’s innovators. This model embodies UAT’s methodologies, curricula, and people dedicated to fostering an environment of innovation that promotes demonstrated mastery and job readiness. An integral part of this framework is SyncFlex, a flexible learning approach with an emphasis on mentored education that provides real project experience to cultivate superior graduates.
Location Requirements: This is no a remote position. Candidates are expected to work on our campus in Tempe, AZ.
Adjunct Pay: $2,800 for in-person courses
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or disability. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.
UAT does not sponsor foreign visas. Thank you for your understanding.
Job Status: Part Time